Header Image

Header Image
P { text-align: center }

Monday, August 18, 2008

30 Hours famine



For those who attended, thank you very much for your contribution! The event would not be an event without all you participants!

For those who missed it, well, you may still be able to join the bigger event this weekend (23rd August; ask Melissa).

30 Hour Famine is a World Vision event where participants gather together and pledge to fast for 30 hours in an attempt to experience even a little of what those in poverty are experiencing.

We had Mr Rahula, our Students department manager starting off the event with words of encouragement. We even had World Vision Angel DJ Terry and Miss Susan (who was also from World Vision) with us.


The first day was filled with games (the first game was introduced by DJ Terry before he and Susan left). We had the first round of Famine Challenge, games, and movies for the first day. The second day was pretty much filled with the Famine Challenge and movies as well. (If I hadn't said enough, I believe it was because most of the time, we were resting from hunger.) >.>;;; (Now imagine if we didn't know when we could eat again after that day?)

I believe that everyone who attended this camp and everyone who fasted definitely felt the hunger pangs that were very real on the second day. If it weren't because I knew I was going to eat at 4pm on Sunday evening, I was honestly ready to just up and leave and get myself McDonalds and nasi lemak if I could! But what if I didn't have that choice? What if I was deserted by society and was growing up not knowing about computers or a house made of bricks?

What we felt that day was mild compared to what we heard or learned about from the videos and from the challenges. And I believe and hope, everyone who participated realizes that too.

If you want to know how you can contribute more towards this, or find out how much you have contributed to this event, please visit www.30hourfamine.org. I think there's more that we can do than just attending this event.

Carolyn.

PS: I wish I had photos but I only have one of Melissa hugging Li Shin's green dragon. Anyone with photos, please, upload them somewhere and send me the links ;)

1 comment:

- k o R i - said...

I think there was another site like that too... http://freerice.com
It was by poverty.com and instead of money, it's giving out free rice to the poor.

Thanks bluesky for sharing this site. =)